Summit scheduled to engage communities around improving health, addressing gaps
The Louisiana Center for Health Equity is hosting a statewide conference, the 2018 Health Summit: Engaging Communities for a Healthier Louisiana, March 20 at the C.B. Pennington Jr Building Conference Center, 6400 Perkins Rd., Baton Rouge.
LCHE and the Campaign for Healthcare for Everyone – Louisiana in collaboration with the Louisiana Department of Health-Office of Public Health, and our summit partners, will serve as the hosts. This signature conference is designed to share knowledge among a broad audience with a goal of developing a framework for the mobilization of communities to address social and economic gaps that impact the health of Louisiana residents.
This year’s summit will build upon the work done in the 2016 and 2017 Health Summit’s to continue our collective efforts toward improving health in Louisiana. Check out the preliminary agenda here:
The distinguished speaker lineup includes:
- The Honorable John Bel Edwards, Governor of the State of Louisiana
- Senator Regina Barrow, Chair, Select Committee on Women & Children, Louisiana State Senate
- Mayor Sharon Weston Broome, Office of the Mayor-President of East Baton Rouge
- Dr. Parham Jaberi, Assistant Secretary, Louisiana Department of Health, Office of Public Health
- Patti Rose, Ed.D, Rose Consulting and Faculty Member, Florida Atlantic University’s Graduate School of Business, Author, Health Disparities, Diversity, and Inclusion, Context, Controversies and Solutions, First Edition
- Dr. Corey Hebert, CEO, Community Health TV, Assistant Professor LSU, Assistant Professor, Tulane University, Chief Medical Officer, Dillard University
- Judy Lubin, PhD, MPH, Center for Urban and Racial Equity
- Jennifer Mathis, JD, MA, Deputy Legal Director & Director of Policy & Legal Advocacy, Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- Michael McKnight, B.S., Vice President of Policy & Innovation, Green & Healthy Homes Initiative
- Alexander Lu, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Sociology, Francis Marion University
- Ritney Castine, Principal and Chief Strategist, Imagine Greater
- J. T. Lane, M.P.H., Senior Director, Alvarez & Marsal Public Sector Services, LLC
- Sarah M. Gillen, M.P.H. Chief Operating Officer, Louisiana Public Health Institute
Patti Rose, E.D., is director and founder of Rose Consulting and previously served as president and CEO of Plainfield Health Center in Plainfield, New Jersey and as vice president of Behavioral Health Services at The Jessie Trice Center for Community Health, one of the largest community health centers in the nation, in Miami, Florida. She is the author of several books, including, Cultural Competency for Health Administration and Public Health, Cultural Competency for the Health Professions, and Health Disparities, Diversity and Inclusion: Controversies Contexts and Solutions by Jones and Bartlett Learning. She also has published articles including a piece in the Harvard Journal of Minority Public Health, which focused on teenage pregnancy in the Black community. Dr. Rose’s passion is to travel the globe to understand the world and to share her knowledge of various cultures, history, health education and health promotion, health disparities, globalism and diversity through her writing, teaching and speaking engagements. Her current research is focused on health disparities, particularly in the United States, from a social justice vantage point, utilizing a cultural lens, and through comparative analysis, from a national and global perspective.
ONLINE: 2018 Health Summit