Tulane brings 2020 Black women’s health conference; Speakers invited to submit presentations
The mission of the Black Women’s Health Task Force at Tulane University is to raise health awareness and increase knowledge of health-related issues and concerns that disproportionately impact Black women and girls. The Black Women’s Health Conference provides an annual forum for sharing, matching, and coordinating empirical evidence with praxis and experience to better understand and enrich health outcomes for black women and girls.
The theme of the 4th Black Women’s Health Conference is The Big C: Countering, Conquering, and Coping with Cancer/s. We particularly seek proposals that conceptualize, interrogate, deconstruct, and report on issues related to the social, political, legal, and historical contexts. We invite panel, poster, performance-based, and individual paper submissions on a wide range of topics that may include but are not limited to:
- Screening, Self-Examination, Prevention, Treatment;
- Obesity, Stress, and Morbidity;
- Family History and Risk;
- Access to Care; Workplace Accommodations; Insurance;
- Mental Health for Caregivers, Self-Care, and Art Therapy;
- Grief & Death;
- Faith & Fear;
- Remission & Recurrence;
- Tobacco Use, Substance Abuse, and Addiction;
- Sex, STDs, HPV, and Sexual Health;
- Fertility, Lactation, and Breastfeeding;
- Hair Loss and Hair-Care;
- Reconstructive Surgery, Body Image, Body Art/Tattoos;
- Environmental Justice & “Cancer Alley”;
- Oncology Social Work;
- Parenting Children with Cancer;
- Medical Marijuana, Access, Benefits, and Barriers; and
- Holistic Care.
Submissions are encouraged in a variety of forms, including: traditional academic conference papers and posters as well as proposals for panels, workshops, and roundtables from academics, independent scholars, practitioners, artists, activists, and community workers and organizers.
Submission Deadline is February 20, 2020.
Conference Dates: Friday, June 12 – Saturday, June 13, 2020
For Questions, email: BWHConference@wave.tulane.edu
To Register: www.bwhconference.com