National Week of Action, Oct 12 -18, focuses on Victor White III’s death
DRUM CALL: OPEN LETTER TO THE COMMUNITY
Victor White III was a 22-year-old whose death in police custody is becoming known as a “Houdini Suicide.” Police in New Iberia claim Victor committed suicide in the back of their police cruiser. They allege that after being pat down twice and being detained in the back of a police car, Victor produced a gun and shot himself in the back while his hands were cuffed behind his back. The coroner’s report later showed that the bullet entered in his chest.
How did Victor produce a gun in the back of a police cruiser after being searched twice? How is it possible that Victor shot himself in the chest while his hands were bound behind his back?
Victor’s father has a simple question: “My son was not Houdini. So, who [did] it?”
The Justice for Victor White Committee is working directly with the family of Victor White III for a National Week of Action to be held in New Iberia and Lafayette, October 12-18, 2015. We seek to honor the life of Victor, raise awareness of his untimely death, demand accountability for law officers’ actions, and ensure transparency in future investigations. We invite organizations, community leaders, elected officials, and citizens to stand with us in this fight for justice.
The Victor White case embodies a blatant disregard of human rights. Here’s how you can stand with Victor White’s family in their fight for justice:
- Attend the March Against Police Violence on October 17th at 11 am in New Iberia, La. and connect other organizers to this event.
- Participate in Week of Action (October 12-18) events as a host, guest speaker, or attendant. The week will consist of coordinated student walk-outs(Oct 12), Police Brutality Symposium(Oct13th), a two-day teach-in workshop series Oct 14-15), a music concert (Oct 16th), March Against Police Violence on (Oct 17), and day of healing on (Oct 18). See www.justiceforvic.com <http://www.justiceforvic.com> for more details on events.
- Make a donation at GoFundMe.com/JusticeforVic. Financial support will be needed to make these efforts successful. You can also send donations directly from your Paypal account to the email address JusticeForVictorWhite@gmail.com. To be listed as an Official Sponsor, please contact Dawn at (337) 344-4462 <tel:%28337%29%20344-4462> .
- Make an in-kind donation. We need signs, shirts, water, printing services, etc,
- Attend Justice for Victor White planning meetings held every 2nd and 4th Thursday at Imani Temple (201 East Willow Street – Lafayette, LA 70501).
- Share Victor White’s story. Commit to sharing Victor White’s story everyday, like us on Facebook, share his story on social media using the hashtag #JusticeForVic, etc.
- Tell your story. Post a video or message completing the prompt, “I want to trust the police, but…” Be sure to use the following tags: #IWantToTrustThePoliceBut, #JusticeForVic, @Justiceforvic [instagram], and @JusticeForVW3 [Twitter].
Victor White’s case deserves more local, regional and national attention. We believe Victor White was murdered by police while in police custody. His death and subsequent cover-up represents a systematic failure to hold police accountable for a growing trend of abuse, which disproportionately impact people of color.
Join us in this fight. Please contact us by phone or email to let us know how you and/or your organization can support this effort.
Justice for Victor White Committee