Groups helping Great Flood victims may receive funds

Groups helping Great Flood victims may receive funds

According to a news release from FEMA, there may be funds to help certain organizations get back to the business of helping others.

  • Community, volunteer, faith-based and private nonprofit organizations that had damage from Louisiana’s recent severe storms and floods may be able to receive FEMA Public Assistance (PA) grants to repair or replace their facilities so they can continue offering critical and essential community services.
  • Critical community service organizations that may qualify for FEMA PA grants include:
    • Faith-based and private schools
    • Hospitals and other medical-treatment facilities
    • Utilities like water, sewer and electrical systems
  • Non-critical, essential service organizations may also receive PA grants. However, they must first apply for a low-interest disaster loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) before they may be considered for a PA grant.
    • The SBA may provide up to $2 million to most private nonprofits in the form of low-interest disaster loans.
    • Learn more about and apply for an SBA loan by going online to sba.gov/disaster. If you cannot access the website, call 800-659-2955. If you use TTY call 800-877-8339.
  • PA grants may be able to cover repair or replacement costs the SBA doesn’t.
  • Non-critical, essential service organizations include:
    • Community centers
    • Daycare centers
    • Disability advocacy and service providers
    • Homeless shelters
    • Museums
    • Performing arts centers
    • Rehabilitation facilities
    • Senior citizen centers
    • Zoos
  • Only organizations that can prove state or IRS tax exempt status may be considered.
  • Facilities established or primarily used for religious activities may not be considered.
  • The first step to receive a FEMA PA grant for your community, volunteer or faith-based or private nonprofit organization is to submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the State of Louisiana.
  • For more information on applying for PA grants, contact your parish’s emergency management office. You can find their contact information online at gohsep.la.gov/about/parishpa

Leave your comment


Back to Top
Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com